• PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img


Have questions about the Practical Training USA program? We have answers! 

Most of the common questions we get regarding the program are answered below. Browse through the list of the questions in the categories below. Of course, if your question hasn't been answered, don't hesitate to contact your nearest office.

There are several resources you can check out to find a training plan in the USA. Some of them are listed below:

  • Books
  • Peterson's Internships
  • The Best 106 Internships by Mark Oldham
  • The Wet Feet Insider Guide to Getting Your Ideal Internship

For the Independent Self-Placement or the Direct Placement option, a minimum of 8 weeks (although sometimes less) should be allowed from the time a COMPLETED application is submitted to the proposed start date of the training program. However, please note that there can be delays on the Host Company side while they are developing a training plan that meets the necessary requirements.

  • Form DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility) issued by your program sponsor
  • For the J-1 Trainee Visa, the completed DS-7002 Form (Training Plan) signed by you, your host company, and CCUSA
  • Other supporting documents – check the specific embassy or consulate website
  • Passport valid for travel to the United States
  • Completed Online Form DS-160, nonimmigrant visa application
  • Fee receipt showing payment of the visa application fee
  • 2×2 photograph, meeting format requirements

For more information about J visas, please see the Bureau of Consular Affairs’ exchange visitor visa website. For detailed information about how to make a visa interview appointment at an embassy or consulate, how to pay the application processing fee and more, go to the visa information on the U.S. embassy or consulate website where you will apply for your visa.

Yes. 12 months Economy Insurance coverage is included with the program and needs to cover the full length of the dates on your DS2019 form. This policy is specifically designed with young travelers in mind. There is no free health service in the US and medical care is very expensive, so we want to ensure that you are adequately covered. You can upgrade this policy as well as add coverage for Ski / Snowboarding, so please be sure to read the policy carefully so you know what is covered and what is not and to see if you need the upgrades or additions. For more information, check out the insurance details.

All CCUSA's Trainees can only be sponsored in the following occupational categories:

  • Hospitality and Tourism*
  • Information Media and Communications
  • Management, Business, Commerce and Finance
  • The Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Industrial Occupations

*Please note:  Training plans in the occupational category of Hospitality and Tourism can only be for a maximum of 12 months. 

We cannot sponsor trainees in any other categories and cannot accept any application that does not clearly fit into one of these categories. Your education and/or work experience should support the training program being offered as well as your long-term career goals. Also, you must:

  • Have a degree or professional certificate from a foreign post-secondary academic institution and at least one year of prior related work experience in your occupational field outside the United States OR 
  • Have five years of work experience outside the United States in the occupational field in which you are seeking training. If you are currently enrolled in a foreign post-secondary academic institution or within one year of graduation and not eligible for the Practical Training USA, you may be eligible for Intern USA, where you can intern in the U.S. for up to 12 months

A training program will clearly involve learning and training that is structured into phases.  For an 18-month training program, there should be at least four or five phases of training. This must be ongoing and closely supervised as well as demonstrating the achievement of specific goals that will be evaluated periodically by CCUSA. This program is NOT a work program. The host company offering you a training program must clearly define the methods of training.

The CCUSA Practical Training USA program is for a maximum of 18 months but all this time must be fully justified as necessary to achieving the goals set out in your host company’s proposed training plan. CCUSA reserves the right to limit the training program to a suitable amount of time to match the goals outlined. Conversely, the program should be no less than 3 months.

All prospective trainees must be from a country that has a CCUSA office or representative. If you have any questions regarding this, please email info@ccusa.com

For the Independent Self-Placement option, a minimum of 8 weeks should be allowed from the time a COMPLETED application is submitted to the proposed start date of the training program. However, please note that there can be delays on the Employer side while they are developing a training plan that meets the necessary requirements. A complete application consists of the following:

Trainee documents:

  • Trainee application
  • Training program agreement (signed)
  • 2 PTUSA references - cannot be from the employer offering the training program
  • Once accepted and the training plan is approved, you will be required to sign the DS 7002 Form.
  • Payment of program fees

Employer documents:

  • Employer application
  • Training program
  • Signed Letter of Agreement from host organization (employer)
  • Employment Agreement and DS 7002 Form signed by employer and trainee

All fees for this program are clearly outlined in the Practical Training USA Program Agreement. Participants pay a US$50 fee to register for the program. The program fee is due at the time you submit your application. Upon acceptance to the program, the insurance payment is due. You will be required to prepay insurance for the number of months you will be on the training program. In addition, there is a SEVIS fee (exchange visitor tracking system) and the US Embassy will charge a fee to process your visa. Your local CCUSA office can confirm this cost. All travel costs are the responsibility of the trainee. Fees cover the application process, guidance during the development and approval of the training plan, assistance with visa processing including issuing your visa form (DS2019), insurance, pre-departure support as well as support while in the USA, and materials (handbook, social security sponsorship letter, evaluations and certificate of completion).

You will need to have 2 Practical Training USA reference questionnaires filled out using the forms provided. These references should be from a person who has known you in a professional capacity (i.e. past employer, teacher).

No, you can only work in the capacity of your approved training program. Your visa is linked to the training program that was approved and to the Employer that is offering the approved training program.
No, your visa is tied to the training plan that was originally approved by CCUSA. If you are let go or leave voluntarily, you are not allowed to pursue a training plan anywhere else and must notify CCUSA immediately to confirm your arrangements to leave the country.
If you have a multiple entry visa, you are allowed to travel outside the US, however, prior to your departure, you must send your DS 2019 Form to the CCUSA Headquarters to sign your form and validate your travel plans, verifying that you are still in good standing with the program. This must be done each time you plan on travelling outside the US.

The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee for the J-1 Practical Training USA Visa is a separate fee that the US Government imposes on cultural exchange agencies for each J-1 sponsorship form to be processed. This is not part of your Practical Training USA application fee and must be paid by you after obtaining your DS 2019 Form and prior to their US Embassy interview (you are required to bring receipt of payment with you to your interview). Directions on how to do this will be provided at the appropriate time.

Typically, we recommend ALL participants return to their home country and apply for the Practical Training USA program. For participants from a commonwealth country, you may choose to go to Canada to apply (or another commonwealth country), although CCUSA recommends that it is always best to return to your home country to apply for this visa.

Trainees are eligible for additional training programs after a period of at least two years residency outside the United States following their initial training plan.